Saturday, August 9, 2008

Gay Parenthood

Hot Chip - Keep Falling (Live)


I have decided to start my blog posts with a music video each and every time. I like the idea of blogs having a multimedia aspect to them, and it will take up space and make it look like I have more to say. Plus I like the way they fit perfectly into the layout of the page. It pleases me.

Sometimes I cyber-stalk a friend of mine online. She had a baby a couple of months back and it always puts a smile on my face to see her photos of her running around with her baby in tow. It kind of makes me feel like I might want a child one day. Anyone who knows me is checking the horizon for horsemen of the apocalypse, but it's true. One day I might want a child. Maybe. I don't know.

I'd be really scared of getting one and then being a terrible parent and fucking them up for life. I don't think everyone should have children. I just don't know if I'm one of those people. Plus, it's not like one is just going to fall into my lap, so I can kind of wait it out and see how it goes. I know I wouldn't want to have a kiddo unless I felt like I could be a really good parent, and that the person I was with could be a really good parent also. Them's the breaks.

I guess a lot of people don't even think gay people should have children. I think that probably everyone would expect me to be outraged at this and flail my arms around and get all pissed off. But I really don't know. I can't really think of a reason why gay people wouldn't make good parents. Who knows if children who grow up with gay parents are more likely to be gay? Does that matter? I mean heaven forbid there be more gay people in the world.

But I just don't know. I guess I just feel like a lot of people feel like having children is part of growing up. Like the natural progression of things is to graduate high school, go to college, get a job, get married, and have kids. Personally I think that cookie cutter approach to life ends up fucking a lot of people over. If not the individual themselves, then the kids they end up with because they feel like they're supposed to have them. I guess I don't really have a point or anything. Just some "verbal" diarrhea. Enjoy.

So I was reading bbc news today and I stumbled on this: Cher fan has his stereo destroyed. I couldn't help thinking, isn't the real tragedy the fact that this guy was hanging out in his house, rocking out with his music so loud that the neighbors can make out the lyrics, and the best he can come up with is Cher and U2? I'll bet you $20 it was a 55 year old gay man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm finding myself wanting kids more and more...it's a scary thought.